'My favourite lesson is French because we are learning a different language and about a different country' - Jemima
*Please note that we are currently in the process of reviewing and updating our curriculum progression documents - finalised versions will appear soon.*
At Princes Risborough Primary School, our aim is for all children to develop a love and curiosity for learning a foreign language by following the curriculum in an engaging, fun way with teachers who both inspire and enthuse pupils.
We hope to create enthusiastic learners with positive attitudes to language learning that will stay with them throughout their lives. We encourage children to appreciate that there is a wide and interesting world around them and that communicating in another language can vastly broaden their opportunities in life, both socially and in the workplace. Through looking at the culture of another country, they will discover not only what each country has to offer but also the similarities and differences.
Throughout Key Stage 2 all our pupils will have the opportunity to regularly learn one foreign language and at Prince Risborough Primary School we focus on French, building on the experience of teachers who have lived and worked in the country as well as having taught French for many years.
Modern Foreign Language teaching will enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and understand and respond appropriately, both orally and in writing. Children will be given opportunities to communicate for practical purposes as well as appreciating how people live in France and French-speaking countries around the world. Pupils will leave our school with a clear foundation in learning a foreign language.
· Lessons are taught fortnightly for an hour.
· Pupils start to learn French in Year 3 and continue throughout Key Stage 2.
· Teachers use the Rachel Hawkes programme with a clear scheme of work to ensure that each year group builds on prior knowledge in terms of both grammar and topic materials.
· Our French curriculum is designed to progressively develop children’s grammatical skills and their ability to use and apply an expanding bank of vocabulary organised around familiar topics.
· Pupils are taught in various ways to support the different skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening in a foreign language. Activities such as singing, role playing, playing games, listening to native speakers and reading and writing all create a multi-dimensional learning experience.
· French WOW days help to nurture a love of the language and culture, and emphasise the practical importance and benefits of learning a language. These are developed according to the year group to ensure variety and interest as the children progress through the school.
· In class, pupils are immersed in French. Instructions are given in the language and pupils are encouraged to always respond accordingly. Lessons start with a welcoming routine to instil confidence in speaking aloud and to ensure the children recognise a pattern of language.
Pupils have an enthusiasm and desire to speak French and realise the importance of this when the world is now such a small place. The school’s growth mindset approach encourages resilience and fosters a positive learning environment where children feel confident speaking aloud and are prepared to take risks without fear of making mistakes. They are taught the main principles and foundations of the French language and over time are able to write at varying lengths for purpose and audience using a variety of taught grammar. These skills will enable them to confidently continue with language learning at secondary school; be it French or another Modern Foreign Language.