The Governors are part of the school’s leadership team and have three key roles.
1. Working with the Headteacher, we set the vision, ethos and strategic direction for the whole school.
2. We hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of the staff.
3. We monitor the effectiveness and evaluate the impact of school strategies and policies and oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent. We have to account for the school’s overall performance to Ofsted, the local authority and parents.
Our remit covers the whole school - buildings and staff as well as education and learning - but particularly: educational achievement, breadth and balance in the curriculum, how (in broad terms) the school should be run, and how the budget allocated to the school should be spent.
We now meet three times each term as a Full Governing Board. One of these meeting focuses on finance, staff, premises and health & safety and another focuses on teaching and learning and pupil welfare. Over the last academic year, each of our governors has had a good attendance record at these meetings.
Currently the Governing Board comprises:
· The Headteacher
· 4 parent governors (parents or carers of pupils at the school, elected by the other parents)
· 1 co-opted governor (appointed in conjunction with the Great Learners Trust)
· 1 staff governor (elected by teaching and non-teaching staff)
· 4 community governors (selected by other governors to represent the local community and provide specific skills)
· 2 associate governors (selected by other governors for a one-year term).
Our Governors are a broad mix – some teachers, some working in the non-academic/educational world, and some retired. We all have one thing in common – to make sure our school is the best of its kind in the area.
We currently have a vacancy for a parent governor and we will be advertising for a person to fill that vacancy at the beginning of the academic year 2020/21.
As well as that, we are always on the lookout for people who are interested in becoming governors so please don't let the fact that we currently have no vacancies in a particular category put you off! Therefore, if you are interested, please get in touch with me via the School Office.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of Governors